top of page
metalford river.jpg

County Information


Chart your journey on Lewis County's local waterway

Visit this site to learn about our community industry 

View the Lewis County Archives & Library page

View the website to our local collection

View information about the South Central Area Fair

Lewis County Memorial Park Information

Learn about Lewis County's namesake

Expirence the National Park in our county

Learn about our community's annnual festival



Hohenwald City Hall

118 West Linden Avenue

Hohenwald, TN 38462

(931) 796-2231

7:30AM - 4:30PM

Monday - Friday

Lewis County, Tennessee includes the city of Hohenwald. The area is rich in both history and leadership. Our goal is to provide an informative resource to those interested in learning more about Lewis County and all of the amenities Lewis County and Tennessee have to offer.

tn map.jpg

County Information

Lewis County was created by an act of the Tennessee General Assembly on December 23, 1843, with land portions taken from Maury, Hickman, Lawrence, and Wayne Counties.  The county was named for Captain Meriwether Lewis, leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, who died and was buried in this location in 1809.  The same act that created Lewis County also made provisions for a monument to be constructed over Lewis’s grave, which later became the first national monument in the south.

County and circuit courts were held at the Blackburn Farm until a county seat was established at Gordon.  Local legend holds that the jury met in the Blackburn’s corn crib.  In 1848, the county seat moved to Newburg, where it remained until the population declined after the Civil War. 

In 1855, subsequent to a lawsuit by Maury County, county lines were changed.  Additional lawsuits followed by other parent counties led to our current county lines.  In 1869, the Tennessee General Assembly abolished Lewis County, returning portions of land to parent counties.  At the second session of the same legislature, the county was restored.

In 1897, the County Court voted to move the county seat to Hohenwald, a community of German and Swiss immigrants. Local legend states that the Newburg Court House was disassembled, moved by wagons, and reconstructed at the new county seat.    

The Chairman of the Lewis County Court (now the County Commission) once held the powers, jurisdiction, and authority which currently belongs to the position of County Mayor.  David C. Mitchell was the first chair of the County Court.  Our current County Mayor is Jonah Keltner.

In the time that has passed from our first county official to our current mayor, Lewis County has experienced significant changes in agriculture, industry, population, and culture.  To learn more about Lewis County’s fascinating history and the visionaries who helped shape the county into what it is today, visit the Lewis County Public Library and Archives at

This County History was written and provided by Lewis County Archivist and Librarian, Crystal Nash. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Are there zoning requirments in Lewis County?

The City of Hohenwald has some zoning requirments and will need to be contacted for more information. However, outside the city limits, Lewis County ony requires what is outlined in TCA code. For more information, click HERE.

Where do I pay Solid Waste fees?

Solid Waste fees are to be paid in the Solid Waste Office located on the first floor of the Courthouse. 

Where does court take place in Lewis County?

Court no longer takes place in the Court House. Since February 2020, court takes place in the Justice Center at 29 West Main Street.

Where do I pay my taxes?

Property Taxes are to be paid at the County Trustee's Office located on the first floor of the Courthouse.

Who do I call for the Dog Catcher?

If a dog is a hazard to the community and located outside of the city limits, please contact Dispatch at

(931) 796-3616 so the Dog Catcher can be directed to your location.

Where can I update car tags?

Vehicle registration, vehicle tax, and tag renewal may be completed with the County Clerk's Office located in the Courthouse. 

bottom of page